Spicey Crispy Oatmeal Patties



SPICEY OATMEAL PATTY



















Oatmeal can be used to make so many different recipes. I know we always have oatmeal cookies and breads and just plain ole hot oatmeal porridge for breakfast. But my first Christmas with my in laws I tasted my first oatmeal patty meat. This oatmeal patty had spinach and eggs as well as other seasonings. I actually was able to come up with a way to make them bind without using any eggs therefore making it vegan. I actually liked it better. I also was able to perfect a seafood taste to it and that is very tasty...atleast to my food critics.....translated, husband, parents, in-laws, sister and dinner guests.


What I like most about making the oatmeal patties is that I can freeze them and then take them out as I need to for a meal. To thaw you can pre-heat the oven and place them on a cookie sheet for a few minutes. They will taste like you just finish cooking them. To keep the flavor while in the freezer I usually put wax paper and then place the patties in the freezer bag.

Additional things you will need:


Deep fryer or frying pan


large bowl


tongs or drain spoon


Oil...vegetable or canola...adequate amount for the deep fryer or frying pan


Ingredients:


6 cups of oatmeal of your choice ( I use Quaker Oatmeal)

1 medium onion chopped

1 large tomatoed chopped (no seeds)

1 Tb spoon fresh or dried thyme

1 teas spoon crushed or finely chopped garlic

Spike seasoning

Sea salt

Cayenne pepper (optional) or crushed red pepper

Vegetarian Chicken seasoning ( I use Bill's or McCays Vegan chicken seasnings)

to give it a seafood taste I add some old bay seasoning

You can also add vegan bacon bits (Bacum bits)

Use all the above dry seasonings to taste

Add all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl then add water till mix has a soupy mixture. See above photo for what your mix should look like. Stir the mix completely to ensure that the seasonings are all blended well.

Now you are ready to spoon your mix into your well heated 1/4 inch layered oil pan. Use a tablespoon to scoop out your mix into your pot. If you wish to have larger size patties you can use cooking spoon size or 1/4 cup measuring spoon.

Now make as much as you can and then freeze the portions you can't eat today. You can store them in a freezer bag in you freezer to enjoy later!

Now serve it up with your favorite sides and enjoy! Please don't forget to post a pic and and your comment. If you have any questions don't forget to post it on www.tastyedentreats.com.



Comments

  1. What an interesting idea!
    I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and I've never thought to do this.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Catalina! I have been a vegetarian for a good while myself. I hope you stop by more often and share with your other vegetarian family and friends about Tasty Eden Treats! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment at Tasty Eden Treats. This is a moderated blog and will be reviewed by the author/owner of this site. Please check back to view your post.

Popular Posts