Sweet Potato Pancakes

Sweet Potato Pancakes- vegan

I have lately discovered some things about sweet potato or yams as they call it here in North America. My first time tasting sweet potato was in the form of the popular dish....Candied Yams. I was born on the beautiful island of Jamaica and what I have known as sweet potato is white in color and is actually sweet. Very nice root vegetable and is one of my favorite. My dad grows in on his land there in Jamaica.

I had a conversation with a co-worker one day and she told me one of the benefits of consuming sweet potato. I almost laughed and ran to the store the next day to stock up on some! It was believed that if you eat a good amount of these in your diet you can be quite fertile....LOL! But hold on don't run just yet....she said with twins or multiple births...then I walked to the store. Needles to say, I am sure it has other benefits but that one was quite the thing for those of us who would like to use natural methods of fertility. LOL! So enough of my talk now let's cook and eat.

For a different twist on sweet potato I decided to make little pancakes to serve for my bruch.

Sweet Potato Pancakes

What you will need:

  • 1 Large Sweet Potato
  • Mandolin with the julian blades
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 table spoon pure maple syrup or brown rice sugar
  • cinamon
  • 1 teaspoon Earth balance vegan butter
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • non-stick frying pan


Preparation:

shred potatoe on mandolin. Heat your skillet with oil and butter but not too hot. Just hot enough to get a little sizzle. Carefully place shredded potato in pan and sautee for a few minutes. Add all other ingredients and sautee a few more minutes until potato begin to stick together. At this point you can use your spatuala to shape them into small round patty or silver dollar pancake size. Cook on each side until brown. You can taste a shred to see if it is cooked. This will take about 20 minutes or so. Serve it up with your items for brunch! Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts