30 minute Spicy Couscous with Soy Chunks and Veggies


30 minute Spicy Couscous with Soy Chunks and Veggies

Hey everyone! Tasty Eden Treats is back in the kitchen. It has been awhile and I sure do hate to disappoint my members or readers. So I know I am no Racheal Ray or Ms. Perfect..."Semi Homemade" chef..but I came up with a quick meal the whole family can enjoy and you can prepare in 3o minutes if done right. So the two main ingredient for this dish is soy chunks/tvp and couscous. This dish can be eaten as a side dish or a one pot dish or for brunch...like I did.

I was able to find soy chunks on one of my many trips to Florida, at a local grocery store. You can find it at your local healthfood store or maybe at Whole foods. I like the "Lion of Judah" Vegetarian Soya Chunks brand. It is derived from a soybean flour and it dehydrated for long time use. The website is www.lionofjudahbrand.com. TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) I found here in West Virginia in my local Martin's grocery store in the health food section. TVP is high in complete proteins and contains no fat making it an excellent meat substitute. It is also wealthy in iron, fiber, magnesium and phosphorous. You can use this flavor free item to use in any dish seeing that it takes on the flavor of whatever dish you add it to. The brand I like and use is Bob's Red Mill High Protein TVP. It is also gluten free for those of you who are on a gluten free diet. Their web address is www.bobsredmill.com.

Now that I have bored you with the details, it's time to cook this delicious recipe! So go to the kitchen and get your stuff together. If you have to go the grocery store then do so and get ready to cook.

Things you will need:
1/3 cup TVP
1/2 cup soya chunks
1 medium onion diced or chopped
1/3 cup red or green pepper
1 clove garlic chopped
1 box Near East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil Couscous
vegetable oil to saute vegetables and soy/tvp
African hot pepper oil or crushed red pepper
garlic powder
sea salt
any frozen vegetables i.e broccoli, asparagus, corn, mushroom etc. I used what I had available
Vegetarian/Vegan chicken seasoning

First prepare TVP and Soya Chunks. Bring to boil 1 1/2 cup of water with chicken seasoning, salt and garlic powder. Pour over Soya Chunks and TVP in a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes or so.
Once ready to use drain in a strainer and use back of a spoon to squeeze excess broth out of them. Then set aside for use.

While TVP and Chunks are rehydrating you could be preparing the couscous as directed on box. As you wait for the couscous, heat your skillet with enough oil to coat bottom of pan and sautee onion, pepper and garlic. Then add drained tvp and chunks to pan and saute until somewhat golden in color, taking care not to burn veggies. At this point add frozen veggies to the mix. You may have to add a little more oil to the mixture as well as a few dashes of the African pepper oil or 1 table spoon of the crushed red pepper for the kick! Now you can add the couscous to the mix and make sure it is blended well together.

You can taste and and spice as you desire. I served my dish up with some fried plantains. Your dish may be served with a side of fresh green salad, or steamed veggies, or just as a side dish to substitute for rice or potatoes.

I am so glad that I can share another Tasty Eden Treat with you.....in 30 minutes. Remember to leave your comments, suggestions or well wishes.....ENJOY!





Comments

Popular Posts