Hearty 17 bean soup

Hearty 17 Bean Soup

Someone requested a recipe for a soup and I came up with my 17 bean soup. I know usually it's 16 but I figured why not just throw one in to unbalance the whole thing. You know me I like to stir up trouble. I served this with Cranberry Coconut Cornbread and it was oh sooo good! It made the evening go by so well and the fact that it was cold and rainy...yes it was just what the doctor ordered.

I was able to find a pack of dry beans that had 16 beans in it and added a can of pease to it. So I will just go right to the recipe. This is not your ordinary soup. It takes time and you need to let it simmer to perfection.

Things you will need:

1 pack of 16 bean soup mix
1 can of a bean that is not in the pack
pimento seeds
fresh or dried thyme
vegetable broth or bouillon
fresh corn on the cob with corn cut off
small potatos (red or brown)
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves of fresh garlic chopped
scotch bonnet or habinero pepper whole not cut

1/2 cup TVP ( Textured Vegetable Protein)
1/2 cup brown rice or long grain rice
4 cups vege/chicken broth
3 cups water
1 cup Braggs Liquid Amino
favorite dry recipes(optional )

Combine all of the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil then turn down to simmer until beans are cooked. Place pepper on top of mixture. You can continue to test the beans randomly until you are sure it is cooked all the way. It should take a good 2 hours but trust me it is worth the wait. I hope this will be another Tasty Eden Treat. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts