Baked Vegan/Vegetarian Ziti


Baked Vegan/Vegetarian Sausage Ziti

My longtime friend and former coworker Jeannie Garcia sent me this recipe for Baked Ziti. Looks tasty and am sure it is great too. She also said that her children love it especially her daughter who eats the vegan version.

This seems to be a quick and easy meal, especially if served with a green mixed salad. I look forward to trying this recipe as well. Jeannie says "It's a big hit here in my home and Simone, the vegan version went over very big as well. That's the one my daughter ate and she loved it!"
So dear readers/ blogger go ahead and attempt this recipe. Just remember to post a pic of your version of this recipe.

Baked Ziti

1 lb package of ziti pasta

1 pound mild italian sausage (I use prosage or griller crumbles, Simone I think it's Gimme Lean that's vegan)

1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese (vegan=1 package of extra firm tofu, blend in blender until smooth)

1 egg (no egg for vegan)

1 large yellow onion (I saute this then add the veggie beef, season with adobo and saute)

2 teaspoons minced garlic (I use fresh garlic with my Pampered Chef garlic press)

1 teaspoon dried oregano (again, I use fresh that I grow, I also added fresh parsley I grow)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 1/2 (26 oz) jars spaghetti sauce, divided

1 (8 oz) package shredded Italian cheese blend (vegan= vegan mozzarella)

1 teaspoon basil (I use fresh basil that I grow)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, grease a 9X13 baking dish (I've never greased the dish....)

-Cook ziti (it gives step by step...do you really need that for pasta?!!) I leave it slightly undercooked since it will be baked

-While pasta is cooking, saute onions and sausage

-Stir together the ricotta, egg, garlic and herbs in a large bowl until well combined (I add the shredded Italian cheese here as well, I always use more than they call for, yum!). Stir in the drained pasta, the onions and sausage, salt, pepper and 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce, mix well.

-In the baking dish, cover the bottom with 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce. Layer 1/2 of the pasta mixture, 1/3 jar of spaghetti sauce, 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Then layer the remaining 1/2 of the pasta, 1/3 of sauce, and 1/2 of cheese. Sprinkle with basil (I cover it with cheese as well). Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.

-Bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes, then uncover and continue baking for additional 10-15 minutes.

Thanks Jeannie for sharing one of your family's favorite recipe with Tasty Eden Treats. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts